Monday, June 04, 2007

CHAPTER 12: PATH OF DEVOTION (BHAKTI YOOGA)

BHAGAVADGITA CHAPTER 12: PATH OF DEVOTION
12. BHAKTI YOOGA
arjuna uvaacha

BHAKTI 001


eevam satatayuktaa yee bhaktaas tvaam paryupaasatee
yee ca api aksharam avyaktam teeshaam kee yoogavittamaa:


Arjuna said: As per your teachings till now, the UPs and UMPs devote themselves to you and meditate on you. Some others believe in the Supreme Spirit envisaged in Scriptures. Between the two, who is a better UP? (DEVOTION 1).

BHAKTI 2

s`riibhagavaan uvaacha
maii aavees`ya manoo yee maam nityayuktaa upaasatee
s`raddhayaa parayoopeetaas tee mee yuktatamaa mataa:

BHAKTI 3


yee tv aksharam anirdees`yam avyaktam paryupaasatee
sarvatragam achimtyam ca kuut`astham achalam dhruvam

BHAKTI 4


samniyamyeendriyagraamam sarvatra samabuddhaya:
tee praapnuvamti maam eeva sarvabhuutahitee rataa:

BHAKTI 5


klees`oo adhikataras teeshaam avyaktaasaktacheetasaam
avyaktaa hi gatir du:kham deehavadbhir avaapyatee

BHAKTI 6


yee tu sarvaan`i karmaan`i maii sanyasya matparaa:
ananyeenaiva yoogeena maam dhyaayamta upaasatee

BHAKTI 7


teeshaam aham samuddhartaa mrutyusamsaarasaagaraat
bhavaami nachiraat paartha maii aavees`itacheetasaam

BHAKTI 8


maii eeva mana aadhatsva maii buddhim nivees`aya
nivasishyasi maii eeva ata uurdhvam na sams`aya:

BHAKTI 9


atha chittam samaadhaatum
na s`aknooshi maii sthiram
abhyaasayoogeena tatoo maam
ichchhaaptum dhanamjaya

BHAKTI 10


abhyaasee api asamarthoo asi matkarmaparamoo bhava
madartham api karmaan`i kurvan siddhim avaapsyasi

BHAKTI 11


athaitad api as`aktoo asi kartum madyoogam aas`rita:
sarvakarmaphalatyaagam tata: kuru yataatmavaan

BHAKTI 12


s`reeyoo hi gnaanam abhyaasaaj gnaanaad dhyaanam vis`ishyatee
dhyaanaat karmaphalatyaagas tyaagaach chhaamtir anamtaram

BHAKTI 13


adveesht`aa sarvabhuutaanaam maitra: karun`a eeva ca
nirmamoo nirahamkaara: samadu:khasukha: kshamii

BHAKTI 14


samtusht`a: satatam yoogii yataatmaa drud`hanis`chaya:
maii arpitamanoobuddhir yoo madbhakta: sa mee priya:

BHAKTI 15


yasmaan noodvijatee lookoo lookaan noodvijatee ca ya:
harshaamarshabhayoodveegair muktoo ya: sa ca mee priya:

BHAKTI 16


anapeeksha: s`uchir daksha udaasiinoo gatavyatha:
sarvaarambhaparityaagii yoo madbhakta: sa mee priya:

BHAKTI 17


yoo na hrushyati na dveesht`i na s`oochati na kaamkshati
s`ubhaas`ubhaparityaagii bhaktimaan ya: sa mee priya:

BHAKTI 18


sama: s`atrau ca mitree ca tathaa maanaavamaanayoo:
s`iitooshn`asukhadu:kheeshu sama: samgavivarjita:

BHAKTI 19


tulyanindaastutir maunii samtusht`oo yeena keena chit
anikeeta: sthiramatir bhaktimaan mee priyoo nara:

BHAKTI 20


yee tu dharmya amrutam idam yathooktam paryupaasatee
s`raddha adhaanaa matparamaa bhaktaas tee atiiva mee priyaa:

ENGLISH GIST
The Lord said:
The one whose mind is filled with me, who contemplates me in synchronisation and with sincerity is the best UP. This is my opinion. (DEVOTION 2).
Those who control their senses, have an alround equanimous vision, are interested in the welfare of all living creatures, and who worship my indestructible, infinite, inexpressible, omnipresent, indisplaceable, incontemplatible, definite, anvil like supreme spirit will attain me. (DEVOTION 3 (DEVOTION 4).
Those who are interested in the absolute Supreme Spirit will have greater hardships because it is difficult for the body dwellers to get absolute dedication to the Supreme Spirit. (DEVOTION 5).
Those who dedicate all their Actions in favour of me and inalienated dedication meditate and contemplate on me , I shall save such UPs (Persons whose minds are in Union with me) from the bondage of the family and mundane world. (DEVOTION 7).
Focus your mind on me. Induct your intellect into me. By this, when you shed your body, you will dwell in me. There is no doubt about this. (DEVOTION 8).
If you are unable to regulate your intellect and mind, Arjuna! then try to attain me by taking up Practice Path of Union. (DEVOTION 9).
If you are unable to practice the Union, then be engaged in doing my work. If you direct all your actions to me, you will be fulfilled. (DEVOTION 10).
If you are unable to perform my work, at least 1. take shelter in me 2. be my devotee 3. dedicate all the results of your Actions to me.(DEVOTION 11).
When compared to practising Union, the Practice of Knowledge is better. Meditation is better than knowledge. Relinquishment of Result of Action is better than meditation. After the sacrifice of the result, a person will get peace. (DEVOTION 12).
He is dear to me :-- 1. who does not anybody. 2. friendly and kind towards all living creatures. 3. who does not have a sense of I and My. 4. who is equanimous to joy and sorrow 5. who is always contented. 6. who is always in Union with me 7. who soul is under control 8. determination 9. mind and intellect dedicated to me 10. my devotee. (DEVOTION 13) (DEVOTION 14).
He is dear to me : 1. who does not excite the world 2. who himself does not get excited by the world. 3. who is relieved of joy, sorrow, excitement and fear. (DEVOTION 15).
He is dear to me : 1. Who does not have desires or likes and dislikes; 2. who is clean 3. who is capable 4. who is indifferent both to joy and sorrow 5. who is unexcited 6. who has abandoned the results of all his Actions. 7. my devotee. (DEVOTION 16).
He is dear to me : 1. who does not feel happy 2. does not hate 3. does not regret 4. does not covet 5. who relinquishes both good and bad things and events 6. devoted in me. (DEVOTION 17).
He is dear to me: 1. who is equanimous both to friends and enemies. 2. good reception and insult 3. vagaries of heat and cold 4. who is balanced 5. who treats both praise and insult equally 6. who speaks less 7. Contented with whatever little is received 8. uninterested in houses 9. determined and stable mind, 10. my devotee. (DEVOTION 18) (DEVOTION 19).
They are dear to me : 1. who practice this nectar like ethics and righteousness. Such sincere persons who are interested in me and devoted to me. (DEVOTION 20).

No comments: